The classic sweet and savory soup…made vegan! Warm, comforting, and perfect for a cold winter night.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. sweet white onions, sliced thin
- salt + pepper
- 4 cups veggie broth (usually one carton)
- 10 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 2 Tbsp. flour, gluten free if necessary
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 2-3 pieces of bread, gluten free if necessary*
- shredded mozzarella or vegan mozzarella for topping, optional
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add sliced onion once the oil is hot, and toss to coat with a wooden spoon. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the onions are dark and caramelized, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add vegetable broth and sliced mushrooms in a medium pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove mushrooms with a slotted spoon and discard. Set the broth aside.
- After your onions are caramelized, add the crushed garlic, and cook for about a minute. Then add flour, and stir to coat the onions. Cook for another minute.
- Add red wine and water to deglaze the pan. Allow to cook for 30 seconds to a minute, then add your thyme leaves and strained vegetable broth.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil, and cook covered for another 10 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary. I added some salt, a healthy pinch of freshly cracked black pepper, and some water to balance out the sweetness a bit.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Cut your bread into a somewhat thick circle. Coat with a bit of olive oil, and toast on a baking pan until crisp, 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- When you’re ready to serve, portion your soup into 2-3 oven-safe bowls. Top with toasted bread and shredded cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted, another 3-5 minutes.
*A baguette works great for this. Otherwise, you can use a piece of sandwich bread cut into a circle (which is what I did).