This is an easy chicken wrap recipe you can throw together in just 15 minutes for a quick & healthy dinner or lunch. Featuring simple ingredients like shredded chicken, hummus, chopped fresh veggies, a homemade red wine vinaigrette, and crumbled cheese all piled onto a piece of soft & chewy naan bread (Indian flatbread). Fix this on a busy weeknight or prep it for the week ahead for grab & go meals.
For The Wraps:
- 4 pieces of naan bread (for a gluten-free version use this recipe with GF AP flour or this recipe with cassava flour)
- 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken (like leftover slow cooker lemon pepper chicken OR rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups of the veggie mixture with dressing (see below for recipe)
- 4 tablespoons of full-fat feta cheese or goat cheese
- 1 cup of roasted red pepper hummus
- 4 cups of organic spring mix
For garnish (added to each wrap):
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of extra vinaigrette or juice from the veggies
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- For The Veggie Mixture:
- 1/2 cup of peeled, sliced & quartered cucumber
- 1 cup of quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of peeled & diced red onion*
- 1/4-1/3 cup of homemade red wine vinaigrette (see below for recipe)
For The Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing:**
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of spicy brown or dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of real maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 teaspoons of minced green onion
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Turn on your oven’s LOW broil setting and pop the naan bread pieces onto the middle rack. Warm & slightly toast each side for about 3-5 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don’t get too dark (I always set a timer). Alternately, you can warm the naan bread in a skillet on the stove or in a toaster oven if you don’t want to turn on your oven.
- Meanwhile, prep the cucumber, tomatoes, and red onion and add the chopped veggies to a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine the ingredients for the red wine vinaigrette in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously for 30 seconds to emulsify the dressing. Pour the dressing over the veggie mixture and toss the vegetables until they’re well coated.
- Lay the naan bread pieces on a cutting board or baking sheet with the inside facing up (the side that’s less charred).
- Prepare each naan wrap as follows: Spread 1/4 cup of hummus across the whole surface, place 1 cup of spring mix on half the naan, then the cooked shredded chicken on the other half. Scoop 1/2 cup of the veggie mixture on top of the salad mix (this helps to absorb a bit of the dressing), then crumble 1 tablespoon of feta cheese over the veggies.
- Garnish each chicken wrap by pouring an extra tablespoon of red wine vinaigrette or juice from the bottom of the veggie bowl over the whole wrap, followed by sea salt & cracked black pepper (to taste) and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve immediately while still flat (letting each person fold it themselves) OR for a nice presentation, tie a small length of hemp cord around each wrap beforehand.
- * If you’re making the wraps for kids who don’t like onions or spicy things, omit the onions in the veggie mixture, slice them thinly and place them on top of the wraps as a garnish for the adults.
- ** If you have an extra 10 minutes to spare, I highly recommend my warm red wine vinaigrette that uses fresh & dried herbs + fresh garlic.
- Make Ahead Tip: If you want to prep these chicken wraps ahead of time for a quick lunch or dinner, assemble everything as normal EXCEPT for the marinated veggie mixture. Pack that on the side in a small container with a lid and pour it onto the wrap just before eating. If you add it all at the same time the juices from the dressing & veggies will run down onto the naan bread and make it super soggy by the time you eat it.