This Swedish apple pie is similar to a crisp and is naturally gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free and 100% whole grain!
For the apples:
- 4 cups firm baking apples, peeled, cored and chopped to 1/4″ chunks (this was about 4 medium apples or 492 grams of chopped apples)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar or granulated sugar
For the topping:
- 9 tablespoons (126 grams) coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) raw sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (113 grams) rolled oats (use gluten-free oats, if necessary)
- 3/4 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons (78 grams) oat flour (use gluten-free oat flour, if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the vanilla sauce:
This is the recipe for the non-vegan vanilla sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups (355 milliliters) milk of choice (just not canned coconut milk)
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and grease a 9″ pie pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the apple chunks, cinnamon, cardamom and sugar.
- In another large mixing bowl, stir together the melted coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Add the oats, oat flour, baking powder and salt and stir just until combined.
- Spread the apples evenly over the bottom of the prepared pie pan. Spread the topping over the apples.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the apples are bubbly and the topping is firm.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
- Cover and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. Refrigerate after that.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the egg. Slice the vanilla bean open and scrape out the seeds. Add them to the pan along with the scraped-out bean.
- Bring to an almost simmer while stirring constantly. It should thicken quite a bit and coat the back of a spoon. It’s okay if it simmers briefly, but do not let it boil. It’ll likely take 5-10 minutes. If using vanilla extract instead of a vanilla bean, add it now. It will continue to thicken a little as it cools. Remove the vanilla bean before serving. Once cooled, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.