A healthy, elegant dinner in only 20 minutes! This prosciutto-wrapped cod is paleo, low carb, and a great weeknight meal!
- 12-14 oz (340-400g) cod fillets
- Sea salt & pepper
- 1.5 oz (~45g) prosciutto de parma
- 2 Tbsp (28g) grass-fed butter, ghee, or avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups (~180g) baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pat fillets completely dry with paper towels and allow to come to room temperature.
- Once they are at room temperature (usually about 30 minutes), pat them dry again and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Not too much salt here because the prosciutto is salty.
- Wrap the fillets with prosciutto. You want to wrap them tightly but gently so that you do not tear the prosciutto. If your prociutto is in strips rather than sheets, just overlap the strips to create a sheet and then wrap around the fillets. I like to lay the prosciutto out on a flat surface, place the fillet on top, then roll the fillet to wrap it.
- Melt butter or ghee in a cast iron skillet or other nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is hot, add the fillets and cook for 5 minutes per side or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Total cooking time of 10 minutes. Flip carefully with a flexible spatula. Cooking time is for 1″ fillets. Adjust cooking time based on the thickness of your fillets. When in doubt, use a thermometer and cook until the internal temperature reaches 140ºF/60ºC.
- Remove the fillets to a cooling rack. This prevents the bottoms from getting soggy.
- With the burner still on medium, add garlic to the pan and stir for about 30 seconds. Add spinach, capers, and lemon juice. Stir and cook for about 1-2 minutes. Just until the spinach has wilted.
- Move the spinach to plates using tongs. Top with the fish and sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!